2 February 2007

Master of the Game

I hear from the news that Sydney Sheldon died a few days ago. He is one of my favorist novelists. Since a young boy, I have read and loved most of his novels.

My personal favorites are If Tomorrow Comes (Chinese translation: The Female Count of Monte Cristo) and Master of the Game (Chinese translation: The Diamond Dynasty). Both of them have been adapted into tv series and showed on some local Chinese tevivision. However, they have not been very popular in China. Most people have never heard of Sydney Sheldon and his novels, especially for those born after the 1980s.

Sheldon is very good at telling stories with complicated backgrounds. They are often made up of sagas of 4-5 generations, such as Master of the Game. Violence, sex, love, hate and revenge are all necesarry ingredients of the story, weaved together by different story lines together with unexpected twists.

Most of Sheldon's books are often categoried as pop-sellers, so many critics might not really appreciate his novels. But it really doesn't matter to people like me as long as we enjoy reading them. In my mind, he is really the master of his game.

No comments: